Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Homemade goodness



Our budget has a very limited place in it for extras, which has led me to be more creative with the gifts I give. At first that really frustrated me, but now I think it's kind of a challenge, and I love spending time on things for people I care about. I thought I would share a few of the things from Christmas and the baby madness that is going around lately =)

I really wanted to make my mom a quilt, and she wanted it to be out of black and white fabric. I used these instructions from Cluck.Cluck.Sew and she really simplified the process. (sorry I don't have a great picture, I didn't think about that until after I gave it to her).




I decided to wing it and make a purse for Tara too. It has pockets on the inside and straps of course that you can't see.


We used this tutorial to make coasters and they were really easy. I would have to say that we ended up using a sealer on ours so that the stamping wouldn't wipe off.



I was reading on a blog, I think it was Prayer of Hannah in the comments, that you could use sheet protectors as a way to reuse stickers. Since Reagan is a sticker fanatic, I made her a folder with sheet protectors, stickers, printed off coloring pages, and dry erase markers (you can wipe off dry erase markers from the sheet protectors and re-color the coloring pages). No picture, but you get the idea.

 This isn't really along the same lines, but I also finally made the Pioneer Woman's cinnamon roll recipe! They are a bit time consuming, but definitely doable, even for a novice like me. We won't be eating them regularly (they are in no way diet food =), but they have definitely made the list of things we will make again.

We also have lots of new babies in our lives. I have enjoyed finding new patterns to make gifts for those little ones. Here are a few things I've made along with links to the patterns:

Changing pad/wipes holder(pattern from Cluck.Cluck.Sew)



Blanket (no pattern here, I just cut two pieces of fleece the same size, sewed together and top stitched)





Lots of fun, and much less money!

4 comments:

Amie Kirk said...

Love it!! Your quilt is gorgeous! I just love getting and giving handmade gifts! They are so special. You should add some of your baby stuff to your etsy shop! Such cute stuff, and I love the fabrics, too!

Shannon said...

Everything is beautiful! LOVE the baby shoes!

Unknown said...

The picture doesnt do the purse or quilt justice they're both amazing!!! I'm soo loving the baby shoes though..next time you come down maybe you can share the bib and shoe wisdom with me :)

Unknown said...

I love it all!