Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Of Late

I know I haven't posted in a while, so I thought I would do a little catch up post. I have been thinking a lot, but I'm not ready to put it all out there, so you get the miscellaneous and abbreviated for now. Beware, it's all over the place!

~Brian's birthday was on Friday, and we celebrated with a couple we met up here. Just a relaxing evening grilling out and eating on the back porch. I made him cupcakes that morning, and Brian grilled steaks and salmon. He also was able to get a recliner! I'm pretty sure he's been admiring them since we got married, and every time we went into Sam's Club he would sit in a particular one. We went Father's day weekend and they had the chair on clearance so he was able to use birthday money to take the plunge. I have to say I like it too!

~We have a little garden planted (tomatoes and bell peppers), though the season here starts much later and we don't have anything we can eat yet. It has been fun to watch them grow, even if the chipmunks will probably benefit from them the most. I'll let you know if we ever get to eat anything.

~I babysat by myself for the first time a few weeks ago and it went remarkably well. I was really nervous because I wasn't sure how I would feel, but baby G was sweet to me. He is about seven months old and we played and played. I would be lying if I said I didn't think of Ethan, but it was nice to have a baby in my arms.

~We got this card in the mail. I'm not blaming Toysrus because obviously they don't realize Ethan isn't here. But it still stung a bit. I've come a long way over the past 14 months but sometimes it only takes a little thing to take you back and remind you what you are missing.



~I have started on a disappearing nine patch quilt based on this pattern from Cluck Cluck Sew and I love it so far! My sewing machine is on the fritz so it's kinda on hold for now, but I'll post a picture when I'm done. If you are new to quilting I think you would like this pattern because the resulting block looks more complicated than it is.

~One last thing that I just think is interesting. When we moved to New York I realized very quickly that air conditioning was a luxury in most places. Last summer was really mild and you really don't need it more than a forth of the year, so I don't think I realized how much I missed it.  This summer has made up for it with the heat and humidity. We are lucky to live in an apartment with air conditioning, as most of our friends don't have it. Our church however has no a/c or fans though so I make it my mission to get a seat next to the tiny windows. The funny thing is even sitting next to the windows I almost passed out this Sunday. Sometimes I forget how lucky we are to live in a country were having a/c is even a possibility.

So what have you been up to?

6 comments:

Sarah said...

Way to go on the garden! I tried one year and failed miserably!

Josh and Donna said...

i was just complaining about the heat. but you are so right! thanks for shifting my perspective. :o)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Shannon said...

Your garden looks great. Rabbits have eaten almost all of ours! I hope you guys are having a good summer.

Holly said...

That's great you have a little garden! I'd love one!

Been pretty busy! Finding it hard to find time to read blogs so I'm waaay behind!