Thursday, September 17, 2009

Google Voice

Have you heard of Google Voice yet? If you're like us, you don't want to change your cell phone numbers every time you move. We don't want a land line either because we wouldn't use it enough to make it worth it. It can be useful to have a local number in certain instances, like when hubby's cell phone dies and he needs to get in touch with me =)

This is were Google Voice pretty much rocks! I can't explain how it all works, but it is wonderful and free. We were able to get a number that is local, and it forwards to my cell phone (you can forward to multiple numbers and change the number or numbers later on). Once it rings, I can either answer or let it go to voice-mail. If it goes to voice-mail, I then get a text message and email with the text of the message. We have weird reception in our apartment, so sometimes when my phone doesn't ring I will get the email and realize I missed a call.

We have giggled a few times over how google transcribes the messages. I don't think they quite get Bri's southern accent:

Voicemail one:


This is Google's translation:
"Hey couldn't get you on your cellphone. So now I'm trying your home phone number file. Alright champ. Anyway, I'll be there is couple of minutes. Bye"

Voicemail two:


This is Google's translation:
"Hi Baby, It's me, just calling for Yeltsin alright. Bye."

Not knocking them at all, we love the service! Just thought you might enjoy a little laugh at how our southern accents trip it up. If your interested in the service, click on the link below and you can request a number and take a video tour.

Google Voice

Do you use other Google products like reader and analytics? I love both! I know I sound like a Google ad, but if you want to know more about them let me know and I can give you the 'dummy' tour =)

3 comments:

Lindsey Oliver said...

Thanks for this post, Cecilia. I'm interested in trying it out. Could you send me an invite? or do I need to go through the site? Thanks!

Kelly G said...

We LOVE google voice!! Rob and I used it when he was deployed and I was still in the states. It certainly helped us avoid international cell phone/ connection fees!!....

love the dress you made!!

NotIbutHewhoiswithinme said...

I love it Im just as southern as bri bri id love to see how the translate my voicemails... this is pretty durn cool can you send me an invite