I was fortunate enough to have my Daddy come visit me up in Ithaca. He hadn't seen Ithaca yet and I knew he was going to love it. Sitting still isn't one of his 'things' and I was all too happy to get out of the house. It was wonderful to have someone to explore the town with and just have some one-on-one time. We took a ton of pics, mostly of the scenery, so I put album links instead of all the pics. Bear with me, I'm just now figuring out Picasa =)
One of the things Ithaca is known for is all the great hiking and waterfalls. The first day, we decided to get out and see Buttermilk falls. What you see from the bottom is nothing like what you can see along the trails. We were both a little surprised at the steepness in the beginning, but it was absolutely gorgeous!
The next day we went to Taughannock state park to see the huge waterfall there. Unlike Buttermilk, you can see the whole thing when you reach the end which is pretty neat. We walked the gorge trail and it is amazing how all of it is carved out.
![]() |
| 2009_07_29 |
Afterward, we went on the hunt to see the Amish. I have a childhood fascination with the Amish, their sense of community and forgiveness are something I admire. Though I see horse and buggy signs a lot I'd never seen any in Ithaca. Bri heard about a town where some Amish folks lived, and Daddy and I struck out! Sure enough, driving through the town were three little boys (one poking his head out the back). We kept driving, admiring the scenery when we saw a sign for fresh produce. We decided to stop and it was run by the Amish! We got some of the best cheese I have EVER had. What a neat little experience!
Dad and I also ventured to see Cornell Plantations. It amazes me that at the end of July they had so many flowers in bloom, but they did. Dad being a landscaper, we had fun walking through the garden and the arboretum.
![]() |
| 2009_07_30 |
And, because he loves me, we went to the mall too. We went to Elmira and looked around. The malls here are much different than Georgia and Texas, but that's probably to my benefit since it means I don't spend money there =). Let's just say that the Ithaca Mall has a setup in the old Abercrombie store with tractors!
On the last day, Brian took Saturday off and we went to Cooperstown. Cooperstown is home of the Baseball Hall of Fame and also has a Farmer's museum. Lots and lots of Yankees and Red Soxs fans for sure! I mainly took pics of the Braves and Texas stuff, but I had to sneak in a pic of Babe. The farmer's museum was neat, but I think by that point we were all pretty worn out. I'd love to go again and spend a weekend there, it was a really cute little town.
![]() |
| 2009_08_01 |
I love you Daddy! Thank you for coming to explore with me =)




5 comments:
Sounds like a fun week! I'm fascinated by the Amish too :)
Sounds like you two had fun! I love your daddy and don't even know him...especially for going to the mall with you ;)
What a special time! Aren't Daddy's the best:)
Cecilia Mae you shouldn't be in shock one bit about the Mall your mom's trained him well :) and it doesn't hurt you have your Daddy Wrapped around your finger. I can see it in his eyes everytime he light up when he see you....Looks like you had an amazing time..
I just found your blog and am so sorry to hear about your loss. I also suffered from HELLP syndrome with my last baby, but he was born healthy and I did fine (other than not allowed to have an epidural because of the low platelets) and being put to sleep for a C-Section after failure to progress. I was never told how serious my situation was. There is lots of info. on the internet about this condition and it may be helpful to you to learn more about it. I beleive that this, like pre-eclampsia, usually only occur with a first child. I had pre-eclampsia with my first baby, and HELLP with my last baby because he was with my new husband. (New father is like having the 1st child again). Hope this is all not too confuing.
Anyway, also wanted to say my husband is from Elmira. He moved down here to NC 4 yrs. ago, we met, married and the rest is history.
I will be praying for you and hope your healing will be fast.
Post a Comment