I read a post by Kelly at Sufficient Grace this morning, and it really made me think. I don't think it was meant to be the main focus of the post, but she was talking about being a 're-player' and it really hit met because I have been doing that all day today. It's honestly a bad habit of mine, because when Brian and I get together with other people my insecurity comes to a head as soon as we get in the car. I'm usually giving a play-by-play of all the things I said or did that were goofy at best, and reading deeper into what others say. It drives him crazy, but he tolerates it pretty well, reminding me that I think about things way too much.
I know it is probably shocking to some, especially other baby loss moms, but most people in New York don't know about Ethan. It's not because we're ashamed (incredibly far from it), but it happened for a variety of reasons. At first, it was because it we lost him while we were moving, and we knew no one up here. We had to tell Brian's boss because he was going to be late to start his post doc, but it has never been discussed since we got here. I'm an incredibly private person (one of the many reasons that blogging came as a surprise), and losing Ethan is so very personal. It's not something you rattle off as a factoid when you meet someone new, and it changes the way people interact with you. If friends don't always know how to handle it (understandably so), how do I expect strangers to know how to react?
We have been trying to meet people at church, and started attending a small group of married couples. I've got to be honest, it was really hard. Things are different here and I have such a hard time with change. Though it was a new group, many of the couples have known each other for awhile, and most are younger than us. The past two weeks seem to have been easier (though I still replay things in the car) and have enjoyed getting to know a few people better.
I was honest about my desire to find a job, which is sticky thing to me because I know people wonder why I wasn't looking before we moved. This week, one of the ladies I have gotten to know emailed me to let me know about a position available in a Chiropractor's office. I was so touched, and yet uncomfortable at the same time. Ever since we lost Ethan, I have a really hard time with medical offices. Not really a good thing when you have to go back several times, and just thinking about that setting gives me chills.
So I took a leap. I really wanted her to know how much I appreciated that she thought of me and to also understand why I couldn't do it. So I told her. And now I'm wondering if that was the right thing to do...I hate all the double-guessing! Being so open makes me fell bare. I just don't know how else to truly let people in without exposing our hurt. And tonight we go back to small group and I'm so very nervous. Yuck!
Does that even make sense? Do you struggle with insecurity? Are you a re-player? If you are, how do you tame it?
Wednesday, January 27, 2010
Bare Honesty
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
I think everyone has some degree of "re-play". I understand where you are coming from. I don't know if I would want to tell people that I just meet... I think I would feel vulnerable. But, I do think you made the right decision by telling the woman at the doctor's office.
I have my insecurities-body image is my biggest one. But, I too read way too much into what people say. I'm a classic "over thinker". One of the ways I can get past it is to ask the person if that's what they really meant when they said "x". You know how honest I am, so that's not hard for me. I think as time goes on, you'll become less of a replayer.
Love you!
i'm a constant re-player! i think women especially struggle with this. you are AWESOME! you truly are. and i think God will use your sweet ethan's story to minister to others. i'll be praying for you as you attend small group tonight! hugs!
I am terrible at re-playing everything in my mind. And like you, I am a very private person. I'll let people know a lot about me, but it is only what I want them to know. When things go over that boundary I get very uncomfortable. I just opened up yesterday to some women in my midweek bible study and I have been re-playing it over and over in my mind. It can really drive me crazy! I've even been contemplating emailing all of them and trying to amend what I said. I've decided against it though, because I think through my transparency, they saw my need and are praying for it.
There are definitely times when I have replayed things in my mind. Usually it is when I am uncomfortable in a situation or how things went.
You know me well enough Cecilia to know that I am a far from private person....in fact I have to remember that I don't have to tell everyone I meet all the gritty details of my life between the first hello and the first goodbye! Trust me, though, being incredibly open doesn't protect you from being a "re-player." The bottom line is that we all want to be accepted for who we are...beauty, bumps and bruises included.
I pray that taking this first step and sharing with someone about Ethan will forge a bond of friendship and help you find your place. I also pray that it will help you break through some of your fears and open yourself to the possibilities God has for you in Ithaca.
I say good for you for opening up to someone... It can be lonely moving away and n ot knowing anyone and maybe this will open up a bond for friendship. Your a smart cookie and tend to think thru things before you speak so try not to overthink about what you thought about before you spoke... haha did that make sense....You know me Im a pretty open book, but I do tend to overthing things afterwards too It's such a woman thing to do.
Hey girl... you are right on..... no matter the personality type, everyone replays the past. And also the future.... I think its harder.... wondering what life would be like if...
I'm sure its hard to move on and keep wondering what life would be like if Ethan were still here. I still pray for you guys often and your healing, knowing that God is good and will bring you through this. Dont feel bad about unloading your story on others.. it'll come out in the right time. And you will relate to so many women who attempt to try for a family. Love you guys!
Post a Comment